Founded by Jamsetji Tata in 1868, the Tata group is a global enterprise, headquartered in India, comprising 30 companies across 10 clusters.
The group operates in more than 100 countries across six continents, with a mission 'To improve the quality of life of the communities we serve globally, through long-term stakeholder value creation based on Leadership with Trust’.
Tata Sons is the principal investment holding company and promoter of Tata companies. Sixty-six percent of the equity share capital of Tata Sons is held by philanthropic trusts, which support education, health, livelihood generation and art and culture.
In 2019-20, the revenue of Tata companies, taken together, was $106 billion (INR 7.5 trillion). These companies collectively employ over 750,000 people. Each Tata company or enterprise operates independently under the guidance and supervision of its own board of directors. There are 29 publicly-listed Tata enterprises with a combined market capitalisation of $123 billion (INR 9.3 trillion) as on March 31, 2020.
Companies with Tata names
Subsidiary companies of the Tata Group and Joint Ventures using 'TATA' in their names include:
* Tata Consultancy Services (TCS)— Asia's largest IT company and world's largest software and services company.
* Tata Consumer Products, the world's second largest tea business.
Tata Starbucks - a joint venture between Tata Consumer Products and Starbucks(US).
* Tata Motors — India's largest & the world's 5th largest automobile company.
* Tata Motors' principal subsidiaries include:
Tata Motors Cars — produces passenger cars under the Tata Motors marque
Jaguar Land Rover — British company making Jaguar and Land Rover vehicles
Fiat-Tata — former joint venture with Fiat which manufactured Fiat and Tata branded vehicles, and automotive components.
Tata Hispano — coach builder
Tata Hitachi Construction Machinery
Tata Technologies – Engineering, Product Lifecycle Management, Information Technology, Automotive, Aerospace, Construction and Heavy Machinery, Manufacturing and Digital Manufacturing.
* Tata Power — India's largest private sector electricity producer
Tata Power Solar
* Tata Elxsi —Product Design & Technology company
* Tata Steel, World's 12th largest steel company
Tata Steel Europe, formerly Corus group
Tata Steel BSL, a steel company formally known as Bhushan steel limited
Tata Sponge Iron Ltd.
Tata Metaliks Ltd.
* Tata AutoComp Systems - India's leading automotive components conglomerate
* Tata Capital — a wholly owned subsidiary of Tata Sons Limited, the apex holding company of the Tata Group
* Tata Chemicals
* Tata CLiQ — e-commerce website, selling apparel, footwear and electronics.
* Tata Communications — a communication company
* Tata Consulting Engineers Ltd.
* Tata Defence
* Tata Housing Development Company.
Tata Value Homes Limited — 100% Subsidiary of Tata Housing, operating in value and affordable segments.
* Tata Projects - Engineering, Procurement & Construction
* Tata Sky — a Direct To Home service company in alliance with British Sky Broadcasting and News corporations STAR
* Tata Teleservices Ltd., Telecommunications, Tata Tele Business Services
* Tata AIG — an insurance based Joint Venture company with AIG.
Subsidiaries without Tata name
Subsidiary companies of the Tata Group and Joint Ventures without 'TATA' used in their names include:
AirAsia India – A scheduled passenger low cost airline (Joint venture with AirAsia)
Vistara – an Indian airline that is a joint venture with Singapore Airlines.
Indicash ATM – India's First & Largest White Label ATM [TATA Product ATM]
C-Edge Technologies – TCS-SBI joint venture
CMC Limited – (Computer Maintenance Corporation) IT services, consulting and software company
Computational Research Laboratories—Tata initiative in high performance computing
e-Nxt Financials ltd. – enterprise solutions[buzzword] provider
Infiniti Retail Croma
Indian Hotels Company Limited – an Indian hospitality company that manages a portfolio of hotels, resorts, jungle safaris, palaces, spas and in-flight catering services.
* Taj Hotels
Inzpera Health Sciences – markets therapeutically efficacious and palatable products for healthy living
Jamshedpur FC – Jamshedpur Football Club which played in an Indian Super League which is top-tier professional league in India
Mjunction – a Tata Steel & SAIL Joint venture - India's Largest B2B E-Commerce company
Rallis India Limited – an agricultural research company
Taj Air - Chartered flights
Tanishq – a jewelry brand in India
Titan Industries – a joint watchmaking venture in India between the Tata Group and the Tamil Nadu Industrial Development Corporation (TIDCO)
Trent (Westside) - a retail chain
TRL Krosaki Refractories Limited – a refractory company, formerly Tata Refractories Limited with Krosaki Harima Corporation.
Voltas - Home appliances company specialising in air conditioning and cooling technology.
VSNL International Canada - based in Canada.
TitanX - Powertrain Cooling
Ref: Tata.com and other sources.